Saturday, December 17, 2011

Soup makin', music listenin', cookie bakin' Saturday

I woke up this morning feeling a little under the weather. I'm not sure if it's a cold or allergies, but either way I decided a day of resting at home was in order. After spending the morning watching Food Network a soup recipe on Giada at Home convinced me to go out to the store.
You can read the full recipe here: Giada De Lauretis Winter Mintestrone Soup

I listened to christmas music while I chopped up the swiss chard, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, onions, and pancetta. I've never worked with pancetta before, so I had to ask for help at the store finding it. From what I understand, it's very thin cut bacon, or "Italian Style". A neat element to this soup is that you blend together some of the beans with some of the stock, making a creamy base for the soup.


I love when my kitchen is just like this. Counter piled with delicious ingredients and a pot ready to cook them into something special. I added some fresh grated Parmesan on top once I had it dished up for my lunch. It is so, so good! Lots of flavor from the rosemary (which came from the pot growing in my window!) and Parmesan. Creamy, flavorful, healthy and delicious. Make it! The only change I would make next time is to go for a larger can of diced tomatoes.

Next up are some gingerbread cookies!

No comments: