Monday, September 13, 2010

crockpot shredded chicken tacos

Last week was my first week of meal planning and preparing while also interning full time. I started the week with a plan for lunch and dinner each day, and did pretty well sticking to it. One thing I realized is that I need to prepare as much as possible on the weekends, because when I get home at 5 p.m., I am tired, and not in the mood to cook. This could easily result in fast food or something equally unhealthy, so I'm doing my best to be prepared for the week ahead by Sunday evening.

While this wasn't prepared a full weekend ahead, it was thrown together the morning of. Enter, crock pot. I love shredded chicken tacos more than most any other kind of food. I never could get it quite right at home though, with moist juicy, tomato-ey chicken like they have at mexican restaurants. Then one day, I found the easiest method ever to make the perfect shredded chicken tacos. I really don't even look at the recipe now, because it's one you only need to see once before you're good to go.


Basically, you put raw chicken breasts into the crockpot, dump a can of salsa, some black beans, and frozen corn over the top, and let it cook for 6-8 hours on low. When you get home from work/school, the chicken breasts will be super tender and will shred easily with two forks. It takes around five minutes of prep, plus a day of ignoring it, and then just a few minutes of shredding when you get home. Then all you need are some taco shells and various toppings and you're ready for dinner. I used three chicken breasts, and we ended up with tons of leftovers. It's great reheated though, whether you make more tacos, a rice bowl, or put it inside of a quesadilla (I've done all three of these things for various lunch/dinners over the end of last week and the weekend).

No comments: