Thursday, July 7, 2011

we live in 3D

Pinterest is one of my newest addictions. Especially since I can browse and pin right from my iphone, I am constantly finding new projects and inspiration. One project I knew I wanted to take on was this nail and thread piece:



I used the tutorial here to create a sign for the front door of our apartment. I like to have something to greet guests (and us) when we walk in, and the front door has been looking pretty bare. I thought a sign that said our apartment number, 3D, would be a little different than the traditional wreath or welcome sign. I used a piece of pre-cut wood purchased from Joanne's, leftover paint from the cabinet project, and black thread and ribbon. The total cost was $5, with LOTS of thread and ribbon left over.


Here is the finished project:




And here is how I got there:

the number and letter combo was printed from Microsoft word
gotta love my iphone for keeping tutorials within easy reach :-)



 My only regret is going with the gray. I like it, but I also considered a bright color like apple green. I think it would have popped a little more. In the end though, it was a fun, easy project, and now our door is no longer naked! I'll call it a success :-)

No comments: